F.C Hibberd Locomotives
Three locomotives which are products of FC Hibberd & Co Ltd of Park Royal in London were bought from Gloddfa Ganol by an SGLR member. This firm came into existence in 1926 and at first subcontracted the construction of the locos they sold, only commencing manufacture in their own right in 1932. After just thirty years, during which a large number of designs both for narrow and standard gauge were produced, the firm became part of the Butterley group and production was switched to their Codnor Park works in Derbyshire. However only a handful of locos were produced there before construction ceased altogether.
S.G.L.R. No.7 - This started life in 1934 as a 1’8” gauge locomotive, built by F C Hibberd & Co Ltd of Park Royal in London, works number 1881. It worked on a tramway at Crowle Brickworks near Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire, which belonged to Richard Thomas & Co Ltd. It is a Hibberd "Y" type, originally with a Ford 8 hp petrol engine, and unlike many locos of its type, is fitted with a cab. The line at Crowle closed in June 1968, replaced by dump-trucks, and the loco was bought for preservation in October 1970 by Richard Morris of Kent, one of the consortium of enthusiasts who later set up the narrow-gauge collection at Gloddfa Ganol Slate Mine in Blaenau Ffestiniog. It was re-gauged to 2'0” in 1972. Upon the dispersal sale following the closure of Gloddfa Ganol it was bought by an S.G.L.R. member. It moved to Derbyshire in February 1998 but went into storage off-site, and only moved to the railway around 2005; it now stands by the main gate, in a green livery and carrying the number 1881. It has since passed to another member, who has removed the wheels with a view to having them re-gauged to 1’6”, but it has no engine or gearbox so will be a major project to restore.
S.G.L.R. No.8 This loco is a cabless Y-Type machine with a Ford 8 hp petrol engine built by F C Hibberd & Co Ltd of Park Royal in London, works number 3424. It was delivered in July 1949 to William Thomas & Co Ltd at the Saltlands Tileries, Chilton Trinity, just outside Bridgwater in Somerset. Here it worked on a 1’8” gauge tramway between the clay pit and the factory. The line closed in 1960, with the works itself finishing three years later, and after a period of disuse the loco was bought by Richard Morris of Kent in 1969, converted in 1972 to 2'0” gauge, and taken to the narrow gauge collection at Gloddfa Ganol Slate Mine in Blaenau Ffestiniog. At the dispersal sale following the closure of Gloddfa Ganol it was bought by an S.G.L.R. member. It moved to Derbyshire in February 1998 but went into storage off-site for over twenty years. Following a change of ownership the loco was brought to the S.G.L.R. site, arriving at the line in April 2018. It is largely complete and currently stands in the open on a section of 2’0” gauge track near the five-bar gate leading onto High Peak Trail.
S.G.L.R. No.9 No.9 is a DY class locomotive with a Lister 9 hp water-cooled diesel engine, built by F C Hibberd & Co Ltd of Park Royal in London, works number 4008. It was built as recently as 1963 and was one of the last to be made in London. It was delivered in April of that year to Sanders & Forster Ltd of Stratford in London, for whom it worked on their 2’0” gauge railway until the 1970s, before passing into preservation first with a Mr J Ewing in Surrey (by 1982) and then at the narrow-gauge railway collection at Gloddfa Ganol Slate Mine in Blaenau Ffestiniog. When the collection was dispersed the loco was bought by an S.G.L.R. member and brought to Derbyshire in 1998. Stored off-site for five years, the loco was finally brought to the S.G.L.R. site in 2003, where 1' 6" gauge axles and wheels were fitted. Ownership subsequently passed to two other members of the Society, and since 2013 No.9 has been restored and it is in working order, though rarely used at present. During the restoration it was painted green and given the name ULLR in memory of a dog belonging to one of its owners.